Human Trafficking



I was unable to sleep last night which is unusual for me. I am the type of person that generally never has a problem going to sleep. Anyway I found myself still awake at 11pm so I began channel surfacing in order to induce a state of severe boredom that would enable me to catch some zzzzz. I landed on MSNBC which was showing an expose on Sex Slaves in America. I have to say I was shocked I don’t know why I knew this kind of thing existed especially living in Texas and being raised a couple of hours ride from the border.

I found myself watching the whole hour show and tearing up over the desperation and hopelessness these women found themselves in. The expose focused mainly on Houston and San Francisco many of these women were kept under constant surveillance and threatened, beat and raped repeatedly. This is a modern day slavery and bondage that affects women and children disproportionately due to a number of reasons.

(The video below is not the same one that I viewed the previous night but it represents the horrors and desperation that cloak human trafficking.)



Violence is perpetrated overwhelmingly against women many of which have been marginalized in society in large numbers, especially women in developing countries. For example, in South African they boast the highest incidence of femicide, where a woman dies every 12 hours, this is 6 times higher than in the United States or Canada (Wasserman, 2006). The effects of a patriarchal society where sentiments of male superiority and women inferiority operates as a prime catalyst for the continued acceptance of violence against women.

The act of violence is a major public health concern and a threat to social and economic development worldwide (Ellsberg, 2006). Violence, intimidation and superiority complexes have laid the ground work for the global atrocity named human trafficking.

"Traffickers often target children and young women. They routinely trick victims with promises of employment, educational opportunities, marriage, and a better life. (U.S. Department of State. 2004. Trafficking in Persons Report. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of State.)"

If you would like to become involved or learn more about human trafficking please log onto these websites:


www.notforsalecampaign.org

www.polarisproject.org

www.cargoinnocencelost.com

www.stophumantrafficking.com


or call Human Trafficking Referral hotline from The Department of Health and Human Services: 1-888-373-7888

If anyone would like the full citation to the above articles contact me and I will provide them for you.

 

Reader Comments



Welcome to Glued Ideas Subtle For Blogger

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! Take a second to peak around and check out some of my previous posts. Of course, I would love to find out what you think as well, so make sure to comment. See you around!

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum