Off Topic: Thank You President Obama


Barack, is expected to sign the Lily Ledbetter Fair pay bill today. The Associated Press posted a quick Q&A about the act.

Lilly Ledbetter was a supervisor at Goodyear Tire and Rubber’s plant in Gadsden, Alabama, from 1979 until her retirement in 1998. For most of those years, she worked as an area manager, a position largely occupied by men. Initially, Ledbetter’s salary was in line with the salaries of men performing substantially similar work. Over time, however, her pay slipped in comparison to the pay of male area managers with equal or less seniority. By the end of 1997, Ledbetter was the only woman working as an area manager and the pay discrepancy between Ledbetter and her 15 male counterparts was stark: Ledbetter was paid $3,727 per month; the lowest paid male area manager received $4,286 per month, the highest paid, $5,236.

To read more about the story and the bill you can visit the White House Blog here. This is a bill that champions not only equal pay for women but also for minorities.

 

Reader Comments

It's been signed. I don't have much of an opinion of this particular case because I don't have access to the underlying facts. (I don't know, for example, if she had maternity gaps in her employment.)

My point, though, is that this is the way things are supposed to happen. The legislature passes laws, the executive signs them, and the judiciary interprets and enforces them. When the other two don't like the way the judiciary interprets it, they pass a new law. My biggest complaint about Bush was that he had a tendency to try to use executive orders as an end-run around things like this.

People shouldn't be subject to statute of limitations tolling unless they know or should know that something has been done to them, and this law brings the (poorly written) CRA into line with that idea. I'm cool with that.

AHHH...touchy touchy..Looks good around here!

I'm going back to read the article hun!

Go

@ Phelps
"I don't know, for example, if she had maternity gaps in her employment."

That is an interseting point and an angle I probably would not have considered to look at. But even if she had maternity gaps and came back to the company you would have to consider the in hire pay was that equal to a male that was also hired around the same time.

@ Ash, good to see you still hanging around. I'm glad you got your page back up and working I was wondering what was going on.

Would it be the oddest thing If I didn't even know there was an existing law/bill that addressed descrimination in pay based n race, gender,etc.

Growing up I've always heard of statistical numbers that showed comparions in pay beteen Black Ameicans, White Americans, males and females!

I'm glad that you have brought not only the signing of the bill to our attention but reason behind it and how it works!

Thanks

Go



Welcome to Glued Ideas Subtle For Blogger

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! Take a second to peak around and check out some of my previous posts. Of course, I would love to find out what you think as well, so make sure to comment. See you around!

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum

Recent Comments